LilySlim Weight loss tickers

“There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.” --Colin Powell
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Call of the Wild Vending Machine

I’m pretty pleased that I’ve been able to knock the “crunchy food” craving this week with some ice-cold veggies. I know it sounds like a “well, DUH” but each time I head over to the restroom at work, the vending machine is there, in all its glory, right across the hall. With the amount of water I drink daily.....well, you get the idea.  Sometimes, that vending machine calls a lot louder than others; this week, the Flaming Hot Cheetos were calling to me. Fortunately, I dumped out all the change from my wallet and I didn’t have any singles in there either. So, what to do? Press my face on the glass and weep? No. Be all grumpy because I couldn’t have a bag of fat-saturated crunchy goodness? No.

I had some carrot sticks and some celery sticks in ice water at home, so after Day One of craving…I brought those things to work. With a couple tablespoons of some garden vegetable cream cheese, I had a very satisfying and filling snack. Okay okay….I know that even though carrot sticks are orange and I’m putting cream cheese on them, it doesn’t make them Cheetos. I get that. I know it isn’t the first time I’ve had that craving, and it sure as heck isn’t going to be the last. The point is, I didn’t bring money from home for the vending machine and I also didn’t eat a bazillion points by having that crunchy contraband either. I’ve been making an effort to eat more fruits and veggies, and these veggies were darn tasty and COLD. Cold, crunchy veggies are a happy thing, especially when it’s hot out; they’re easy, quick, they taste good and are good for you.

Sure, they don’t make the Call of the Cheetos go away, but they do make it a little easier to ignore.

2 comments:

  1. This made me laugh. Thankfully I don't have to walk by the vending machines. I would have to purposefully walk into the lunch room with change turn to the left and go to the machines. Instead I walk out the door onto the street and continue walking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have noticed, that they are stocking more "healthy" things in the vending machine such as baked chips and those popchips. Still.....I don't need to be drooling on the glass over crunchy snacks. I'm a lot better than I used to be. Yeah, I might want something, but I know that I'm better off if I just don't give in. And yes, I do repeat that over and over and over when I have a bad craving.

    ReplyDelete